Thursday, June 10, 2010

Zucchini Bread: A Tasty Way to Eat Your Green Veggies


I had quite a few zucchinis and yellow squashes to wrestle with this week. So naturally, I turned to zucchini bread to help me knock off at least one very large zucchini that was just staring me down in the fridge. Zucchini bread recipes can be overly high in fat or overly sweet (I once made a Paula Deen recipe which would surely send you to the dentist for a filling from all the sugar in it), so I started with a low-fat recipe from Cooks.com and made some of my own tweaks from there.

LOW FAT ZUCCHINI BREAD
3 eggs (whites only)
2 c. sugar (I used 1 c. white, 1 c. brown)
2 c. grated zucchini (I used 1 large zucchini which seemed like a bit more than 2 cups)
3 tsp. vanilla
1 c. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
3 c. flour (I used half all-purpose and half whole wheat flour)
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Mix egg whites and sugar, then add all the other ingredients. Divide into two bread pans which have been sprayed with any cooking spray. Bake 50 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center of the bread.

The loaves turned out delicious and moist (may have been due to the extra zucchini). Now I just have to stay away from the extra loaf for the next 24 hours, when we take it to our hosts at the beach house this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment