Monday, June 21, 2010

Last Night's Dinner



It's always easy to throw together a quiche and a salad for an easy Sunday night dinner. I keep frozen pie crusts and plenty of eggs on hand just for this reason. Last night, I made a quiche using broccoli (frozen from a previous week's share), zucchini from this week's share, some Vidalia onion and garlic scapes. Here's my simple recipe, along with one for a salad of cucumber (from the share) and tomatoes I picked up at Eastern Market this weekend (our share tomatoes aren't in yet).

EASY BASIC QUICHE
Pie crust, frozen or home made
4 eggs
2/3 c. half & half/milk or 1/3 c. plain yogurt & 1/3 c. milk
1 c. cheddar cheese
FILLINGS:
1/2 c. chopped broccoli
1/2 c. chopped zucchini
1/4 c. onion
1 garlic scape, finely diced

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whip eggs until fluffy and add milk. Meanwhile, saute filling ingredients in olive oil in a pan on medium heat, adding salt & pepper to taste. Add filling mixture to the pie crust and then add egg mixture. Sprinkle cheese over the top and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 375 degrees 35 to 40 minutes. Top will be golden brown. Allow to cool some before serving.

TOMATO CUCUMBER SALAD
1 whole cucumber
1/2 yellow tomato
1/2 red tomato
dressing: balsamic vinegar (about 1/3 c.), olive oil (about 1/4 c.), pinch of thyme and dill, salt and pepper
Place chopped veggies in a bowl. Combine dressing ingredients and toss with veggies. Refrigerate for 30 min to an hour before serving. Note: This recipe would be delicious with the addition of a hard cheese such as feta or blue cheese.

5 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, that quiche looks awesome Acadia! I might have to make one sometime soon. I made a really good one a while back- one of Emeril's recipes if you want to check it out:

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-essence-of-emeril/three-onion-mushroom-and-ham-quiche-recipe/index.html

    The savory crust was really, really good. I minced the mushrooms (because one of my guests likes the taste of mushrooms, but not the texture), and used just one kind of onion, but it was really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Acadia! I posted the recipe on my blog, and linked here giving you full credit. I look forward to more collaborative blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brittney--Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check it out!
    @Helios--Thanks for the shout out. I love the idea of collaborating on our blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quick question: you don't need to blanch the broccoli before sauteing it? I might try this recipe tonight, it sounds absolutely delicious.
    Love your blog, Acadia!
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madga, I don't usually blanch it because I like my veggies a little firm in my quiche, but if you like yours softer, I say go for it. Sorry it's taken me three years to respond. I have 4 kids and let the blog go for a while! :-)

      Delete