Thursday, June 3, 2010

More Mac & Peas Please!


I have always liked peas stirred into boxed mac & cheese. Since we got about a cup of fresh peas (in the pods) in our share this week, I decided to make homemade macaroni & cheese with peas. I used this recipe at
All Recipes.com with a few modifications with what I had on hand in the kitchen. I was a little worried that my cheese sauce was a bit on the lumpy side (I still have to perfect my roux), but my son and husband still gave it an A+ rating. (I am starting to worry about grade inflation and not sure if the rating system is truly reflective of my cooking skills.) Here's a picture after we had already served ourselves. Sorry it's not that pretty!


Ingredients

8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
1 c. shelled peas, washed
1 c. shredded Colby jack cheese
1 c. shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated/shredded Parmesan cheese
3 cups milk
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 pinch paprika

1) Cook macaroni for approximately 5 minutes, then add in the peas and blanche with the pasta for another 2 minutes. Drain.

2) In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni & peas in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.

3) Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.

4) Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment